The First Line of Care
The Practical Nursing program combines basic skills with scientific principles and nursing theory. Learning is organized according to body systems ranging from simple to complex, with each concept building upon another. Students practice both the theory and application of principles learned, first in a simulated lab situation and then in care facilities under the supervision of faculty members. Students of Practical Nursing learn to recognize their strengths and abilities while remaining within the scope of their practice. Graduates are prepared to function in a structured healthcare environment under the direction of a registered nurse, physician, or another primary healthcare provider as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). More than 90 percent of graduates in recent years have found steady employment in the nursing field. In June 2021, Best Value Schools recognized UBTech’s Practical Nursing program as the top LPN program in the state of Utah, and in September 2022 was recognized by Nursing Process as the seventh-ranked Practical Nursing Program in the entire Western region.
Practical Nursing applications are available at the UBTech campus or may be mailed to the applicant. Applications may be completed and submitted to the UBTech Practical Nursing Department.
Fall/August 2023 application period is: March 1st, 2023 to May 31st, 2023
Spring/January 2023 application period is: August 1st, 2022 to October 31st, 2022
Before applying, applicants must complete the pre-requisites, meet with a Student Success Officer and complete the entrance exam.
Proof of completion by official transcript sent from the issuing school must be submitted with the application. In addition, course descriptions must be included with transcripts for courses taken at schools other than USU.
A point system is used to facilitate candidate selection. Points are awarded based on criteria listed in the PN Application.
Licensed Practical Nurses are prepared to work under the supervision of a Registered Nurse or physician in hospitals, doctor’s offices, care centers, home health care settings, and rehabilitation facilities.
- 900 Hours
Average completion time: 34 weeks
- Fall/August 2023 application period is: March 1st, 2023 to May 31st, 2023.
Fall/August 2024: TBA
- Spring/January 2023 application period is: August 1st, 2022 to October 31st, 2022.
Spring/January 2024: TBA
- M-F| 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Clinical days and locations vary (6:00 am – 6:00 pm)
- M-F| 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- M-W | 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Th-F | Times vary
Clinical days, locations, and times vary.
Tuition and Fees:
- Tuition – $1800
- Fees – $960
- Books – $2023
- Supplies – $353
- High school diploma or GED
- Math 12.0 grade level
- Reading 12.0 grade level
- Spelling 12.0 grade level
- Language 12.0 grade level
- Pass Random Drug Screen
- Pass Background Check
- PAX Exam Score of 101 or higher
- Grade of “B-” or higher in all prerequisite courses. (Human Anatomy with Lab, Human Physiology, Human Growth and Development.)
- Current Certified Nursing Assistant, Certified Medical Assistant, or Certified EMT.
Upon completion of the program, students must pass NCLEX-PN Exam to license as a Practical Nurse.
- Act Score of 19 = GLE 12th
- Act Score of 18 = GLE 11th
- Adults 18 years or older
- Roosevelt only
- Federal Financial Aid: Yes
- VA Qualified: Yes
- $36,690- $59,380 yearly
Local Utah yearly salaries are estimated by careeronestop.org
- A Chrome book is offered in some programs. If one is not available, the student can use the UBTech Computer Lab or bring their own internet-capable device for educational use in class.
Electronic Student Resources:
- Canvas orientation course contains electronic learning resources that can be used throughout your time in the program. Each canvas course links to these resources, and they will be updated regularly.
Canvas can be accessed from any internet-connected computer at the following URL: https://ubtech.instructure.com/login.
For technical problems encountered while in Canvas, use the Help button in Canvas and the “Report a Problem” link. Response time on support requests will be no more than 24-hours within the operational schedule of the program. A general orientation to Canvas can be found in the New Student Orientation, but faculty will also offer an orientation specific to technology in your program on your first day of class.
The Practical Nurse program at Uintah Basin Technical College is accredited through the ACEN, Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. Information regarding accreditation can be obtained at:
ACEN, Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta, GA 30326
COE Student Outcomes for Calendar Year 2022
- Completion: 97.8%
- Placement: 100%
- Licensure: 92.6%
ACEN Student Outcomes for Calendar Year 2022
- Licensure examination pass rate for all first-time test takers: 92.6%
- Program completion rate: 97.8%
- Job Placement: 76.2%
- Progression rate to ADN Program: 76.2%